By Ms. Peacock
District Curriculum Coordinator
The STAAR test is rapidly approaching for our 3rd – 5th grade students.
The dates are:
April 1, 2014 – 4th grade Writing Day 1; 5th grade Math
April 2, 2014 – 4th grade Writing Day 2; 5th grade Reading
April 22, 2014 – 3rd & 4th grade Math
April 23, 2014 – 3rd & 4th grade Reading; 5th grade Science
*Here are a few tips to help prepare for testing:
1. Make sure your child has taken any needed medication
2. Get a good night’s sleep before the test.
3. Try to make the morning of the test a pleasant one. Do not add to your child’s stress.
4. Get your child to school on time the day of the test.
5. Encourage your child to stay focused on the test, even if other students finish early.
6. Wish your child good luck each morning of the test. Tell your child that he/she is special and that you believe in him/her.
**Test taking tips for students:
1. Approach the test with a positive attitude.
2. For writing prompts – be sure to write neatly and legibly. If the reader cannot read your answer, you lose!
3. Read each question carefully and think before you answer.
4. If you go blank, skip the question and go on. Be sure to come back to that same question later.
5. Don’t panic; there is no reward for being the first one done.
6. Relax, take slow, deep breaths.
*** Helpful websites: